A community minded app that’s helping people look out for their neighbours. Purple Alert is a free app designed by people living with dementia and carers, Alzheimer Scotland staff, Police Scotland, Social Work, Dementia Friends Scotland, Health and Social Care Partnerships and telecare services.
Alzheimer Scotland wants to help find people living with dementia if they are lost.
With the support of people living with dementia and their carers, Police Scotland and Health and Social Care providers we have developed the Purple Alert app as a way to help find people.
The app allows carers to share the person living with dementia’s profile if they loose their way and allows for eyes and ears on the ground immediately helping to find them.
Purple Alert is the first app of it’s kind in the UK and it is available for free download to iOS and Android smartphones.
Alzheimer Scotland hope that it will be downloaded and supported widely by people in Scotland and that it will help find people living with dementia if they are lost.
A community minded app that’s helping people look out for their neighbours.
Purple Alert is a missing persons service for people with dementia that allows the community to help if someone with dementia is missing. The service uses an app to share information at the point of crisis and allows for eyes and ears on the ground immediately helping with the search. Top of the list in the challenges identified by people living with dementia is the desire to maintain independence for as long as possible and to continue to get out and about safely. There are a number of technologies that can help with this e.g. personal alarms, door sensors and GNSS devices, however they rely on wearable technology or interventions in the home, and both options can be expensive and/or intrusive. Our answer to this is Purple Alert, a free app designed by people living with dementia and carers.
Purple Alert can give reassurance to families and carers who are concerned about the safety of loved ones living with dementia. The app is intended to complement other services and products available and we would always recommend looking at the full range of options and considering what is in the best interests of the person with dementia.
App download link:
|iOS||Native iOS app development using both Objective – C& Swift
Xcode is used as IDE
|Android||Native Android developed using JAVA
Android studio is used as IDE
|Social Logins||Used Facebook & Google|
|Maps||Google Maps Places API to get almost accurate missing locations& addresses of near by places.|
|PUSH notification||Used Google’s Firebase server for sending PUSH notifications commonly for both iOS and Android|
|API||REST based webservices developed in PHP|
|Database||MySQL as database|
Features in this project:
- User can login using Facebook / Google login + usual server registration / login.
- User register a profile as missing with 3 photos and other information about the missing person such as Name, age, height, weight, clothes they wore etc., CRUD operations can be done only by the user who created this profile.
- User can report a person FOUND & place, people can comment on it.
- User can report that “I have seen” the missing person. They can mark a place & time. So that the care taker will get notification and email about that.
- User can report a person is missing in a location. All the members who use this app in that location and with in 30 miles radius of that location will get a location based PUSH notification. So that they can search.
- Users can follow a missing profile to get updates about the profile’s status.
- Once the missing profile is found and re-united, the care taker will create an incident that the person is RE-UNITED. This will alert all the people who follow this missing profile and the people who were searching for.
- User can do all the operations in website similar to mobile app.
- We have also created Master admin (in website) who can view and generate reports about missing / found persons. He is having all the access to all profiles. He can change the details or delete profiles etc.,